The Newton’s (see previous post) are WONDERFUL.
I did my first run in them yesterday, an easy 4, and I felt like this was how I was supposed to run my entire life! And then I finished it up with 100 strides and man, my legs have never had such a fast turnover. ever. Today it was very snowy, we got around 5″ so I decided to take back out my Nimbus X’s and not risk ruining the new Newton’s. Even running in the X’s on the long run, I emphasized a mid-foot strike and it seemed to come more natural after a while.
RUN: 10.5 miles, conversational pace.
EAT: Went back to Starbuck’s for my Saturday ritual of a Vivanno with Espresso Shot. Then I browsed by Jamba and noticed…
STEEL-CUT OATMEAL??? WHAT??? Yeah, this stuff trumps whatever “perfect” instant oatmeal that Starbuck’s offers. That’s right, straight up Steel-cut Oats with Blueberries, Blackberries, and a Brown Sugar Crumble from Jamba Juice <– That is where it’s AT.
Today, a perfect snowy Saturday is also a joyous occasion to bake.
Banana Bread, anyone?
Here’s what I did (adapted from allrecipes.com):
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons apple sauce
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 16 ounce plain yogurt (or low fat sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease pans. In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- In a large bowl, mix applesauce and 3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, yogurt, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Very moist, as you can tell! I added diced bananas on top before baking for an extra flair…you can add chocolate chips or whatever into this recipe if you want to.